Taevin had a total of 4 doctors visits this week. The first one was in Chicago at Children's. We had to be there by 9 am which means we sat in traffic with all the other people who had to be there by 9. This appointment was to check his incision, it is healing well. All the stitches are internal and should dissolve on their own but for some reason it is irritating the skin and had caused some blisters. One of the stitches was sticking out so they removed it and said to watch for any more.
The next appointment was on the same day at Lake Forest with the Endocrinologist. She is going to be watching his growth and calcium levels. He has been on a calcium supplement since surgery and the plan is to start weening him off of it. The trick is to find a good balance because if you have to much calcium it can cause kidney stones and if you don't have enough it can cause seizures. His level was a bit high so she lowered his dose. While we were in the office they asked if they could record us for a commercial they are doing for Children's Memorial. It will be on You Tube in the next few months.
On Thursday after a very long sleep less night and most of the day crying (Taevin, not me but I wanted to) I set up an appointment with the pediatrician to talk about his extremely bad acid reflux. It is so bad that he cries for up to a hour after each meal, spits up with milk coming out his mouth and nose, and has a hard time sleeping. I have tried every thing and nothing has helped, even the medicine for reflux isn't helping. Any way the doctor feels that the problem could be that his opening is to large and does not keep it in his stomach. He is sending us to a Gastroenterologist and I'm praying they will be able to help. The earliest appointment they had was not until the end of July so my poor little man has to suffer through it a while longer.
The last appointment was Friday in Chicago. This appointment was with the speech therapist. They are working with me on getting Taevin eating properly. DiGeorge kids tend to have problems while eating such as breathing the milk into the lungs, not getting a good seal, not being able to control the flow and choking. Taevin is having several of these problems and so we have to thicken his milk, use special nipples and next week he will be getting a swallow study to make sure it is not going into his lungs. (this can cause pneumonia) I never knew feeding a baby could be so complicated!
What a crazy week! He only has 1 appointment scheduled for next week so I will get a little break from all the running around. We are having family come to visit for 2 weeks. It will be so nice to see them and take my mind off all the medical stuff. I think we are going to have my dad bless Taevin while he is here. I am planning for July 18th @ 9 am and would love to have you there.
3 comments:
You and your little man are such troopers. Let me know if I can help out. We'll be there for the blessing!
Our poor little nephew! Hopefully they get things figured out for him! We are soooo sad we don't get to go over there!
Oh Liz, my prayers are with your little guy! I hope things begin to get easier sooner than later! Enjoy seeing your family!
Post a Comment