It's been over a month since I posted about how Taevin is doing. We have been to so many appointments that I lose track. Let's see, since my last medical post (the end of July) we have seen:
*Early Intervention
*Speech (5 times)
*Developmental therapy (2 times)
*2 different GI doctors
*the Immunologist
*the Otolaryngologist (Ear, Nose and Throat)
*the Pediatrician
and he is scheduled to see the Endocrinologist next week, the DiGeorge clinic the following week and the Cardiologist at the end of the month. (with a few others in there some where) He has also had Labs drawn twice. I have been one busy mommy. Lucky for me only a few of these appointments are in Chicago.
So after all these appointments I bet you're wondering how he's doing. Taevin is doing great, better then we could have ever hoped for.
Early Intervention came and did an evaluation to see what extra help he might need. We decided on Speech therapy to help with feedings, help vocalize more and help increase sound volume. He also has a Developmental therapist who comes and works on meeting mile stones. They each will come to my home twice a month to work with him.
As of right now we also see the speech therapist from Children's every 2 weeks until the EI one is up to speed. We found out that Taevin was aspirating on the thicken milk as well so we had to increase the amount of thickener. We are still working on tongue control, keeping a good seal and pacing during feedings. He is now up to 4 oz every 3 to 4 hours.
We had a follow up with the GI doctor and they said since he was gaining weight that they did not feel it necessary to put him back on the feeding tube. Thank goodness!!!!!! He has been doing better since being put and the Zantac but still has awful episodes. I'm not loving this GI doctor so I got the name of one from a friend and decided to try her out. She took him off the Reglan (which can causes Parkinson's like behavior) and put him back on the Prevacid. We'll see how he does on these. We're scheduled to see her again in a month.
Our visit to the Immunologist was very positive. Even though Taevin is missing his Thymus gland he seems to have a full T Count. They want to see him back in 6 months to recheck his levels and in the mean time he has to stay away from live virus immunizations and everyone has to get a flu shot. The girls are going to love that.
I don't know if you remember me talking about Taevin's weak cry and loud breathing but we went back to the ENT to see if there was any new information. They put a scope down his nose to get a look at his throat. They said it was very red and swollen most likely due to the acid reflux. They were not able to get a look at this vocal cords due to the swelling and extra skin that is growing around them. They are still not concerned with the loud breathing and they feel is cry has improved. We are scheduled to go back in 3 to 4 months for them to try again.
At the Pediatrician we finally had his 3 month check. He looks good and is growing. He now weighs 11 lbs 2 oz and is 23 1/2 inches long. This puts him in the 10th percentile for both his height and weight. He also got 4 immunizations. We go back in 2 months.
The labs he got drawn were for his appointment next week with the endocrinologist. She has been keeping an eye on his calcium levels. As of right now he is still taking a supplement 3 times a day and we are hoping to ween it back some more at this visit.
I think that's all........
It amazes me that I can keep all this straight. So many doctors and so much information, but with such great feed back I couldn't be happier.
4 comments:
we are glad he is doing so well! Love you all!
Seriously - how do you keep it all straight?! I would be so overwhelmed and forget something for sure. You are the perfect mom for that cute little boy.
Oh goodness! That is quite a bit for such a little guy. But I'd believe it...Brayden has had the same kind of luck (if that's what you call it) this past year and a half and it's amazing how many different doctors they need to see. At least be grateful he's not old enough to remember anything. Brayden is at an age where he is traumatized to even go into a patient waiting room anymore because he's seen so many doctors. I admire your strength and positive outlook. I will keep your little guy in my prayers that it will slow down a little for you guys!
Wow! You and your baby are A-MAZ-ING! You'd never guess by his cute little picture that he's got all of this going on. Reglan causes Parkinson-like behavior? I'm a little nervous remembering that was a drug they gave me during pregnancy for nausea. I think the ped GI doc we used for Lauren was Dr. Suzanne Nelson out of Glenview. We liked her well-enough, but then again, we only saw her once.
Post a Comment