Monday, June 2, 2014

Dare Devil's Flight

June 26, 2013

Taevin was a wild man a decided to stand up in a chair while Aniela was spinning it. I bet you can guess what happened. Yep, he went flying, landed hard and broke his arm. He had a Supracondyler Humerus fracture  and needed surgery to repair it.



I was napping (6 months pregnant) and my mother in law was watching the kids. She came upstairs holding Taevin who was crying and wouldn't stop. I took him, held him and noticed he needed a diaper change. So I laid him down to change him and noticed that his arm didn't sit right. I knew right then that he had broken it and so it was off to the ER for us. 

The ER doc knew what kind of break it was just from looking at it, even before they took the x-ray. So after the x-ray confirmation I was told that this type of break requires surgery and pins to fix. Oh yeah, another surgery for him! Not thrilled about that but what can you do. So we waited for the ambulance to take us from the Grayslake ER to the Lake Forest hospital where he would be admitted and have surgery the next morning.

After arriving at LF and being admitted the doctor came into get medical history (why they didn't do this at the ER i'm not sure) and since he is such a complicated boy they told me they wouldn't do the surgery and that we would need to be transferred to Children's in Chicago. So again we waited for the ambulance, went through an ER and was finally admitted to Children's. 

We stayed the night, Taevin had surgery the next morning, stayed another night and was sent home the next day. They gave him the option of pink or blue for his cast color he picked PINK! I over ruled and we went with blue. 


 After 4 weeks and a few follow up x-rays both the cast and pins were removed.  They just pulled the pins out with a pair of pliers!!! Not a pretty sight, my poor little guy! My little warrior is amazing and was super brave through out the whole thing.



0 comments: