Friday, January 9, 2009

"The Fall"

On Friday last week I had a Primary Presidency meeting in the morning, so I packed up the girls and headed to Amy's house. Amy Smith has 5 kids, Lisa Smith has 3 1/2 kids, Sandi Rubow has 3 kids and I have 2 kid, so with just us 4 in the Presidency there are 13 1/2 kids. Anyway the kids all got to play together while we were having our meeting and loved it!
When it was time to leave Areya and Kirsti (Amy's 4 year old) were having so much fun that they were not ready to give in so I let Areya stay and play while I took Aniela home for a nap. After her nap I was holding her as we went down stairs, when I lost my footing and down we went. We ended up falling down 5 or 6 stairs. I landed on Aniela's leg and she was screaming, I was extremely light headed and almost passed out so I handed her off to Ida (lucky for us she was home) and tried to clear my head. After holding Aniela for a little and not being able to calm her down I tried letting her stand on her leg, she screamed even louder and would not put any pressure on it, so I told Ida that we needed to go to the hospital. My head was still spinning at this point so Ida agreed to drive us, by the time she got Aniela loaded in the car I was feeling better and was able to drive us.
I called Amy and let her know what was going on and then headed to the hospital. After a short wait they did a x-ray of her ankle and it was broken in two places. They gave her meds put a brace on it and sent us home. It was to swollen to put a cast on that day so we were scheduled to go in Monday for a follow up.

This is Aniela after we got home.

She has been doing pretty well. After the first few days of meds and lots of loves she was ready to play. On Monday we took her in for the follow up, the doctor said that she would need a cast but that it should heal fast without any other problems, which is great news. They let her pick the color of her cast and as the nurse was saying the colors Aniela said purple. I was so surprised, I had no clue she knew how to say that. Aniela did great, she did not cry or move the whole time, the doctor and nurse were amazed that she just sat there.

The cast goes all the way up to the middle of her thigh. She will have to have it on for 4-6 weeks. We go back in on Monday for another x-ray to see how it is healing.

As you can imagine bath time can be pretty tricky with a cast. We had to cover it with trash bags and tape it to her leg, then prop it up. She has been taking all her baths in the kitchen sink.

I also painted her toe nails purple to match.

As for me, I got a few bumps & bruises and messed up my back & neck again. I guess that means a few more trips to the Chiropractor.

I just wanted to say thank you so much to Amy and Lisa who have been wonderful to help us out. I am so grateful to both of you for every thing you have done for us, it really means a lot. THANK YOU!!!

3 comments:

Darci said...

What sweet little purple toes! So sorry that you and the baby are hurt!

TJ and Shaylee Voss said...

My poor little niece! But i am so glad that you both are ok- for the most part and it wasn't any worse. I wish I could be there to give her some loves :)

mommy princess said...

You are such a trooper. I can't believe how positive your staying through everything! And even though you were hurt to you manage to still only worry about the girls and try to think of cute things for them to do. You're the best mom ever. Thanks for the Christmas card. I'll try to gather some fun ideas for you and the girls to do for the next few weeks.