Sunday, April 25, 2010

37 weeks

Getting closer!!!! Only 20 more days to go! I am still seeing the doctor once a week where they do a non stress test, ultra sound to check my fluid levels and a quick visit with the doctor to see if anything has changed. As of last week I still hadn't started to dilate. Which with all the contractions I have had you would think I would be at least a 1 or something, but sadly no. Damian's parents are scheduled to arrive on the 8th and my mom on the 12th so until they get here to help out I guess I shouldn't be to eager for Taevin to make his appearance.


We have been trying to decide which hospital to deliver at and have Taevin's surgery done. The Children's Hospital in Chicago does not have a place for mothers to deliver so I would have him at Evanston and then they would transport him down to Chicago. Where as the Children's Hospital in WI has a hospital attached which I would be able to deliver at and be close to him. I am really having a hard time with the idea that I will not be able to see and hold my baby until released from the hospital. The other main things we have to take into consideration is the best place to have his surgery and to get his DiGeorge evaluated. Both hospitals have DiGeorge Clinics so that is not an issue at this time, but since his heart surgery is the first thing that needs to be addressed it ends up being the decision maker. Damian and I both felt very confident with the surgeon we talked to in Chicago. Whereas the one in WI kind of left us with a unsure feeling. The one in Chicago has had lots of experience with the specific heart defect which Taevin has and the one in WI was more of a general ped. heart surgeon. (He has only done maybe 30 of that specific surgery in 15 years)

I have been asking around and everyone I have talked to has had great things to say about the one in WI. I liked how personable they were and the NICU had a great set up. The commute will be easier to there and it will be easier for me to get a room in the Ronald McDonald House because we will be considered out of state. We didn't get to talk to anyone from the DiGeorge clinic or see the NICU in Chicago so that makes it hard to compare. This is such a hard decision, i'm running out of time and still don't know what to do.

I hope and pray that we make the right decision and that everything goes smoothly.

4 comments:

Dalynne Denhof said...

such a hard decision, i sympathize with you both. sometimes we don't get answers until we make the decision ourselves and then take the decision to the Lord. then that is when we will feel peace and comfort or an uneasiness. you don't have to go so far as notifying the hospital-just the two of you decide and then pray. and before you deliver, if there's a way foir you to get a priesthood blessing that would be such a comfort to you. i've asked for one before each of my children were born, and it helped calm my nerves and have faith. wishing you and your little guy that all goes well-you're both in my prayers!

Erin Natter said...

I'm sorry it's such a hard decision. It sounds like it would be nice to have the surgery in Chicago and then move him to Wisconsin. I think Dalynne hit it right on the nail. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the decision, I'm sure you will make the right one. I'm just so happy he's stuck it out this long, he seems pretty anxious to get here ;)

Kelley A

Keli said...

I'm sure you'll know what the right decision is when it's time. You and Damian are great parents, and little Taevin has chosen you because of your ability to handle this situation.

I pray for you and your little family every day. I miss you! I wish you could just be here at Primary's. ;)

Best of luck, and let us know as soon as anything starts happening!